Building a Website
Building a website these days is not as scary as it once was! Years back you needed to know coding (programming), have what they and FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program and lots of time.
Nowadays if you have web hosting through someone like Bluehost, it is basically a one click of the button and your WordPress website is loaded to your domain! Or if you are starting out and want a free option you can go to a site like Wix.com and get a free website and a subdomain name. A subdomain name is something like yoursite.wix.com so your name is under the Wix name. This is an ok option when you first start out, but when you get serious to look professional you will want your own Domain name, through someone like GoDaddy.com
Domain Name - 8 Things to keep in mind
8 Things to keep in mind when choosing your domain name:
1. Make it easy to type
2. Keep it short
3. Use Keywords - See Choosing a Niche
4. Target your area if you're a local business (ie. denverglassrepair.com)
5. Avoid numbers and hyphens
6. Be memorable
7. Research It - See Choosing a Niche
8. Use an appropriate domain extension
.com is the most popular but if it is already taken for what you want you have the option to go with new generic top level domains such as .website, .photography, .nyc, .guru and there are many more!
Here are other extensions and what they are used for:
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .info : informational sites.
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
You can get a FREE domain name from www.dot.tk, it will have a .tk extension
Choose a Theme
Themes change the way your website look. There are 1000's of themes out there, some free and some you pay for. The difference usually is the free ones have less options that you can change, like color schemes, menu options etc. After you install WordPress, you can go to it's dashboard and search through the themes available and install the one that suits your Niche. If you want to be able to fully customize your theme we recommend looking through the themes at ThemeForest.net
Plugins are an add on for your WordPress theme. There are 100's of plugins out there to do just about anything on your website. From eCommerce plugins to run a shop online, Forum plugins to run a Forum on your website, even Affiliate plugins if you want to have other people selling your product or service. Again there are free and paid for plugins, paid for plugins usually offer more options than the free ones.
4 basic steps
The four basic steps to a Website are:
- Choosing a Niche (See Choosing a Niche)
- Deciding on a Domain Name
- Get Hosting for your Website
- Install your Website
So let's get building!